How to restrict cell data in Microsoft Excel
Data validation is much more useful in Microsoft Excel, you can limit the cell to enter data that only you have decided, such as a range or age range. If you want to enter a specific age range, for example between 18 and 25, you can use the data validation feature to prevent the cell from using values outside this range.
How to Restrict Cell Data in Microsoft Excel Using Data Validation
Use data validation to limit the type of data or values that users enter into a cell. One of the most common uses of data validation is to create a drop-down list that we have already shown. Here’s how you can do it, follow these steps.
- Step 1: Start Microsoft Excel, choose the Data tab in the top menu bar and select Validation.
- Step 2: In the validation window under the Settings select the section To allow as the whole number and fill in other details as per your requirement.
You can choose from anything below.
- Whole number – to limit the cell to accept only whole numbers.
- Decimal – to limit the cell to accept only decimal numbers.
- List – to select data from the drop-down list.
- Date – to limit the cell to accept only the date.
- Time – to limit the cell to accept only time.
- Length of the text – to limit the length of the text.
- Costume – for personalized formula.
Once done, go to Entry message form and type your error message here.
That’s it, there are several tricks, quick shortcuts, hacks and workarounds to save time in Microsoft Excel, you can view our How-to Guides section for more information. Here are some of these helpful tips below, check them out.
To receive updates on the latest tech news, smartphones and gadgets, be sure to follow us on our social media profiles.
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube