75 Getting Over Someone Quotes
If you need help learning to move on, these getting over someone quotes are exactly what you need.
Breakups are never easy.
When a relationship ends, we are often left feeling confused, heartbroken, and lost.
But there are ways to mend a broken heart, and inspiring words can help you pick yourself up and find hope.
Breakups are hard.
As with any pain we endure, we are tested to see how resilient and strong we truly are.
This is the beauty of the human condition.
We were built to survive! Bravery runs through our DNA, and love flows abundantly in our hearts.
Love will find its way from your heart into the world again.
When it does, all the sadness stemming from your breakup will disappear.
If you ever feel stuck and need some advice on how to overcome the ‘breakup blues,’ please refer to these getting over someone quotes and quotes about moving on for some inspiration.
Inspiring getting over someone quotes
1. “We do not heal the past by dwelling there. We heal the past by living fully in the present.” – Marianne Williamson
2. “Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know.” – Pema Chodron
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
3. “You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are.” – Yogi Bhajan
4. “Give yourself the love you seek, and the universe will send people who match it.” – Abraham Hicks
5. “We repeat what we don’t repair.” – Christine Langley-Obaugh
6. “Sometimes things that hurt you most, teach you the greatest lesson in life.” – Buddha
7. “It is time for me to let go of my old beliefs about how relationships are supposed to be.” – Louise Hay
8. “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
9. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’” – Joel Osteen
10. “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
11. “Darlin’ you don’t need all that armor. Because what lives inside, they can’t break.” – Jm Storm
12. “In three words I can sum of everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.” – Robert Frost
13. “Your heart knows the way. Run in that direction.” – Rumi
14. “If I want to be loved as I am, I have to be willing to love others as they are.” – Louise Hay
15. “What comes easy, won’t last. And what lasts, won’t come easy.” – Yogi Bhajan
16. “I forgive everyone in my past for all perceived wrongs. I release them with love.” – Louise Hay
17. “Choose people who lift you up.” – Michelle Obama
18. “I know something better is on the road for me.” – Maya Angelou
Also, read these quotes about divorce to help you move on.
Getting over someone quotes to empower you
19. “Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.” — Ovid
20. “Look ahead and move on, but be totally in the present.” — Sukan Sethi
21. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” — Kenji Miyazawa
22. “I’ve always believed that if you don’t stay moving, they will throw dirt on you.” — Paul Anka
23. “If you keep telling the same sad small story, you will keep living the same sad small life.” — Jean Houston
24. “Anyone can say they care. But watch their actions, not their words.” – Buddha
25. “The pain is an opportunity to resurrect our true selves.” – Unknown
26. “A person can break your heart and damage your pride. But never ever give them the power to break your spirit.” – Unknown
27. “What a beautiful thing it is, to stand tall and say, I fell apart and I survived.” – Unknown
28. “Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.” – Unknown
29. “Don’t like the chapter you are in? Write a new one. You are the author of your life.” – Unknown
30. “Learn to be happy alone, so you know how to be happy with someone else.” – Unknown
Don’t forget to also read these I miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
Moving on and getting over someone quotes
31. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
32. “I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I don’t quit.” – Shayne McClendon
33. “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come.” – Rumi
34. “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
35. “Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your heart repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back.” – Unknown
36. “Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.” – Unknown
37. “I never knew how strong I was until I had to forgive someone who wasn’t sorry and accept an apology I never received.” – Unknown
38. “The only people who deserve to be in your life are the ones who treat you with love, kindness, and respect.” – Unknown
39. “He’s going to be sorry he lost you, so stop worrying. Forget the past, forget the pain and remember what an incredible woman you are.” – Drake
40. “Sometimes when you are in a dark place, you think you’ve been buried; but actually you’ve been planted.” – Unknown
41. “If you love them, then love in the way that frees them. Build them up. Grow them and let them grow you. Love that is confining, restrictive, and full of laws is love born out of the desperation of loneliness.” – Jm Storm
42. “It is worse to stay where one does not belong at all than to wander about lost for a while looking for the psychic and soulful kinship one requires.” – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
43. “Don’t wait for things in your life to change before you feel better. Feel better now and watch the things in your life change.” – Unknown
44. “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If in our heart, we still cling to anything – anger, anxiety, or possessions – we cannot be free.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
45. “Until we have seen someone’s darkness, we don’t really know who they are. Until we have forgiven someone’s darkness, we don’t really know what love is.” – Marianne Williamson
Getting over someone quotes to inspire you
46. “He loved me. He loved me, but he doesn’t love me anymore, and it’s not the end of the world.” – Jennifer Weiner
47. “Heartbroken? Channel your sorrow to become worthy of love. The world will be yours.” ― Tapan Ghosh
48. “To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose is the next best.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
49. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are and what you really want out of life? Right after a break-up.”― Mandy Hale
50. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term?” – Nicholas Sparks
51. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.”― Jonathan Harnisch
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
52. “Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.” – Harriet Evans
53. “I think it’s important to realize that you can miss something, but not want it back.” – Paulo Coelho
54. “You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
55. “Some think that holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it’s letting go.” – Herman Hesse
Don’t forget to also read these new beginning quotes to help you start afresh.
Other getting over someone quotes and sayings
56. “A relationship, I think, is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.” — Alvy Singer, Annie Hall
57. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” ―Steve Maraboli
58. “The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” — Gwyneth Paltrow
59. “You don’t have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you.” ―Jojo Moyes
60. “I made up a new dance. It’s called the Move on with Your Life.” — Sky Corrigan
61. “I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been.” —Winnie the Pooh
62. “There is a good way to break up with someone, and it doesn’t involve a post-it!” — Carrie Bradshaw
63. “Get past your past, be a presence in your present, and let no one refute your future.”―Johnnie Dent Jr.
64. “The only thing that looks good on you is distance.” – Unknown
65. “Peace can only be achieved by letting go of the past and accepting what is.” ―Abhishek Kumar
Getting Over Someone Quotes That Will Help You Move On
66. “You won’t get over someone by living a lie.” ― A.D. Aliwat
67. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next.” — Dimz Media
68. “When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That’s the message he is sending.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
69. “You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.” – Unknown
70. “Healing comes in waves and maybe today the wave hits the rocks. And that’s OK, that’s OK darling. You are still healing. You are still healing.” – Ijeoma Umebinyuo
71. “Closure happens right after you accept that letting go and moving on is more important than projecting a fantasy of how the relationship could have been.” – Sylvester McNutt
72. “A strong woman loves, forgives, walks away, lets go, tries again, and perseveres…no matter what life throws at her.” – Unknown
73. “Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day and it’s something that doesn’t get a day off.” — Demi Lovato
74. “You can’t change what has already happened so don’t waste your time thinking about it. Move on, let go, and get over it.” — Orebela Gbenga
75. “Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars: you have to let go at some point in order to move forward.” — C. S. Lewis
Did these getting over someone quotes help provide some closure or healing for you?
Whether you have been trying to get over someone from a past relationship that ended three weeks ago or years ago, the key to moving on for good is taking your loss and turning it into a teaching lesson.
With every hardship, comes the valuable lessons we can walk away with.
If you become more aware of what you want, more sure of your self-worth, or more in touch with who you are, it is all worth it.
The experience is never wasted. It prepared you for the journey ahead.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST