25 Godfather Quotes About Family and Loyalty (2022)
There are few movies that can depict family and loyalty the way The Godfather can.
These Godfather quotes show just that.
If you happen to have been living under a rock and don’t know what The Godfather is, it’s an American Crime film from the 1970s.
The film was directed by Francis Ford Coppola and was based on Mario Puzo’s best-selling 1969 novel of the same name.
It starred actors Marlon Brando and Al Pacino and was one of the highest-grossing films of its time.
The film led not only to its own sequels but also to the success of popular shows like The Sopranos.
The Godfather gives a look into the lives of Italian immigrants along with the lives and work of the mafia.
Lines and scenes of the movie are still commonly referenced today.
They depict the closeness of family and the importance of loyalty.
The Godfather was released in March 1972 and is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential films ever made.
It generally received positive reviews and was nominated for and won several awards.
Below is our collection of interesting Godfather quotes and sayings from the film.
Enjoy reading them, and don’t forget to also check out our compilation of Scarface quotes.
Godfather quotes about friendship and enemies
1. “Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.” – The Godfather
2. “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.” – The Godfather
3. “Your enemies always get strong on what you leave behind.” – The Godfather
4. “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other.” – The Godfather
5. “Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.” – The Godfather
6. “A friend should always underestimate your virtues and an enemy overestimate your faults.” – The Godfather
7. “Power wears out those who do not have it.” – The Godfather
Also read these Goodfellas quotes from the legendary 1990s mobster movie.
Godfather quotes about family
8. “Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.” – The Godfather
9. “It was not perhaps the warmest friendship in the world, they would not send each other Christmas gift greetings, but they would not murder each other.” – The Godfather
11. “I’m working for my father now. He’s been sick, very sick.” – The Godfather
12. “Some people will pay a lot of money for that information; but then your daughter would lose a father, instead of gaining a husband.” – The Godfather
13. “And I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her never to dishonor her family.” – The Godfather
14. “Italians have a little joke, that the world is so hard a man must have two fathers to look after him, and that’s why they have godfathers.” – The Godfather
15. “A man who is not a father to his children can never be a real man.” – The Godfather
Don’t forget these unforgettable quotes from Pulp Fiction as well.
16. “Just lie here, Pop. I’ll take care of you now. I’m with you now. I’m with you.” – The Godfather
17. “Tell my father I wish to be his son.” – The Godfather
18. “My father is no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator.” – The Godfather
19. “Falling in love is great but being in love is a disaster.” – The Godfather
20. “Michael could never remember his father ever having uttered a word about death as if the Don respected death too much to philosophize about it.” – The Godfather
21. “They made it personal when they shot Pop. It is not business, it’s personal.” – The Godfather
Godfather quotes about loyalty and betrayal
22. “Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty.” – The Godfather
23. “Some honorable men spend their whole life preparing for a supreme act of treachery.” – The Godfather
24. “Any man can turn traitor.” – The Godfather
25. “I Know It Was You, Fredo. You Broke My Heart. You Broke My Heart!” – The Godfather
What can you learn from these Godfather quotes?
Let’s be honest, there are a lot of lessons from The Godfather that you aren’t going to want to apply to your own life from this film.
While it’s great to make your family a priority in your life as well as keep loyalty as a character trait that applies to you, you aren’t going to want to go to the lengths that the movie characters do.
These Godfather quotes can remind you to make sure you are being loyal and a good friend, not to mention a good family member.
And they can also just be fun to read through.
They may even entice you into watching the movie series again or giving it a try for the first time.
Did you enjoy these Godfather quotes and lines?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST