Two dead in South Korea Halloween stampede
At least two people died and dozens more were injured after a huge crowd invaded a central district of the South Korean capital over the Halloween holiday, a fire department official said.
On Sunday morning, two were pronounced dead among 24 who had been transferred to nearby hospitals after suffering cardiac arrest in the Saturday night incident in the Itaewon district, said Moon Hyun-joo, a National Fire Agency official.
The death toll could rise as relief operations are still ongoing. The Yonhap news agency said at least 100 people were injured in the stampede.
Filming on social media showed several people assisted by rescuers and private individuals on the spot. Reuters could not verify the authenticity of the images.
South Korean President Yon Suk-yeol chaired an emergency meeting with top assistants and ordered the dispatch of emergency medical teams to the area, his office said.
Authorities are investigating the exact cause of the incident, the agency said.