Rodney Wayne Williams stands trial accused of murdering Tiffany Taylor

A jury who heard the murder case against a man who allegedly killed a teenager after arranging her payment for sex was told that the 65-year-old lied to the police and tried to flee to Darwin in the weeks following her death. of the girl. .

Rodney Wayne Williams, 65, pleaded not guilty to the murder of Tiffany Taylor in Waterford West, south of Brisbane, on July 12, 2015.

The teenager was reported missing from her family after her boyfriend Gregory Hill last saw her leave the motel room they lived in a few days earlier.

The Crown claims that Ms. Taylor went to meet Mr. Williams after she agreed to pay $ 400 for sex.

The couple met on a dating site.

In her final remarks to the Brisbane Supreme Court, Crown Attorney Caroline Marco said that Mr. Williams never intended to pay Ms. Taylor any money since he didn’t have any.

The court was told that Mr. Williams then sent a message to Ms. Taylor on the dating site where he apologized for not being able to meet her.

Ms. Marco said it was a lie and Mr. Williams had tried to claim that he had not met the teenager that day.

“Mr. Williams sent this message to create a fake story claiming he never met Tiffany Taylor, to hide that he was the last person to see her…” he said.

During the three-week trial, the jury had seen CCTV footage from at least two toll booths of the couple traveling together in Mr. Williams’ car.

“Mr. Williams clearly met with Ms. Taylor, the prosecution presented enough evidence to draw that conclusion even in the absence of arguments that he (did not have),” Ms. Marco said.

Ms. Marco said that Mr. Williams later admitted to the police that he met Ms. Taylor that day but left her alive before returning home.

The court was told that the jury had seen evidence showing data from Mr. Williams and Ms. Taylor’s cell phones that showed they were in the same place at the same time.

Ms. Taylor's remains have never been found.
Camera iconMs. Taylor’s remains have never been found. Credit: Provided

Ms. Marco said the jury should conclude that this evidence further proved that the couple had been together at some point on the day of Ms. Taylor’s alleged death.

“It is no mere coincidence that the two phones belong to people who were … in circumstances where the situation was ripe for a dispute between them,” said Ms. Marco.

Ms. Marco referred to evidence provided by several men during the trial that they had also arranged paid sex with Ms. Taylor who had sometimes asked for money before performing any sexual acts.

“The only rational explanation you can draw from is that Mr. Williams killed Mrs. Taylor and did it intentionally,” she said.

Ms Marco said that although the prosecution did not have to prove where or when the alleged murder took place, Mr. Williams likely killed Ms. Taylor in Larapinta, where the couple had car sex.

The court was also told that Ms. Taylor’s blood was found in Mr. Williams’ car, which is said to have been caused by a bloody nose.

“Mr. Williams told police in his written statement that when Mrs. Taylor got into her car she asked for a handkerchief and saw that she had blood on her nose,” said Ms. Marco.

“In her interview, she said she got into the car with a handkerchief full of bloody nosebleeds.

“He later told police he had left blood on the door, as he found out while cleaning his car.”

The court was told that 11 of the 14 bloodstains returned a DNA profile matching Ms. Taylor, while seven of those samples matched unique DNA profiles.

“One of the spots on the passenger was only visible in forensic lighting, and the other spots were very small and hard to miss if he was trying to clean up the blood,” said Ms. Marco.

Tiffany Taylor was last seen leaving her motel room by her boyfriend in July 2015.
Camera iconTiffany Taylor was last seen leaving her motel room by her boyfriend in July 2015. Credit: Provided

The court was told that Mr. Williams had also tried to flee Queensland to Darwin before police intercepted him at the station.

“(She had a) bag full of lots of spare clothes, toiletries, and sentimental items, including what appeared to be her children’s badges,” said Ms. Marco.

Mr. Williams’ defense attorney Kim Bryson will present his closing brief to the jury on Thursday afternoon.

The teenager’s body was never found.

The trial, before Judge Peter Applegarth, continues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *