Quotes About Change And Growth In Life
Looking for inspirational quotes about change?
There is a saying that “nothing is consistent but change.”
In all of our lives, I believe we have found this to be true.
Tell us about a period of change that impacted your life in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading quotes about change and growth?
Changes will always happen, both planned and unexpected.
How we deal with changes thrown our way says a lot about who we are as a person and our inner strength and esteem.
We can all use some support and guidance during these times.
These change quotes can help you realize:
- you are more capable of affecting change than you think
- that change is an opportunity to grow and learn
- that you are not alone and change is something we all must face
For more inspiration on your journey of self-awareness and personal development, don’t miss our collection of growth quotes.
Inspirational quotes about change in work, life, and love
1. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” ― Nelson Mandela
2. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
3. “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ― Albert Einstein
4. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Jalaluddin Rumi
5. “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ― George Bernard Shaw
6. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ― Margaret Mead
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Mead quotes challenging societal stereotypes.
7. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
8. “To say goodbye is to die a little.” ― Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye
9. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
10. “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.” ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Frankenstein quotes about the trueness of humanity.
11. “I’m not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
12. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.” ― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
13. “You can’t stop the future
You can’t rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
…is to press play.” ― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why
14. “If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you’ve made, if they don’t realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
15. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” ― Lao Tzu
16. “The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.” – Warren Buffett
17. “Life is a progress, and not a station.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” ― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish
19. “Change is inevitable. Change is constant.” – Benjamin Disraeli
20. “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” ― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to look at the world differently today.
21. “The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
22. “I have accepted fear as part of life – specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back….” ― Erica Jong
Famous Quotes About Change and Growth
23. “Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
24. “The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind.” ― Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these break up quotes that will help you overcome the pain of separation.
25. “Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (see all meaningful The Fault in Our Stars quotes)
26. “We made the world we’re living in and we have to make it over.” – James Baldwin
27. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light
28. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.” ― Maya Angelou
29. “And that is how change happens. One gesture. One person. One moment at a time.” ― Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing
30. “Change is inevitable, but preparation is a choice.”― Engelina Jaspers
31. “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” ― Mother Teresa
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspiring Mother Teresa quotes on kindness, love, and charity.
32. “You’re always you, and that don’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.” ― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
33. “Change is the only constant in life.”― Heraclitus
34. “Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.” ― Eckhart Tolle
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of life-changing quotes about love, life and death.
35. “The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not fighting the old, but on building the new.’” — Socrates
36. “Believe something and the Universe is on its way to being changed. Because you’ve changed, by believing. Once you’ve changed, other things start to follow. Isn’t that the way it works?” ― Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard
Positive Quotes About Change In Your Life
37. “Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (see other meaningful Catcher in the Rye quotes)
38. “Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” ― William Jennings Bryan
39. “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.” ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
40. “The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.” – Steve Jobs
41. “Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
42. “Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens” ― Tony DeLiso, Legacy: The Power Within
43. “If you are unwilling to change and adapt as your situation in life changes, life will always be one step ahead of you.”― Matt Fox
44. “Fashion changes, but style endures.” ― Coco Chanel
45. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” ― Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
46. “No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself.” ― Madonna
For additional reading, be sure to also check out these letting go quotes for finally moving on.
More Inspiring Quotes About Change and Moving On
47. “Time takes it all, whether you want it to or not.” ― Stephen King, The Green Mile
48. “Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change” ― Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes
49. “Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” ― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
50. “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― R. Buckminster Fuller
51. “Change, like healing, takes time.” ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
52. “I’m unpredictable, I never know where I’m going until I get there, I’m so random, I’m always growing, learning, changing, I’m never the same person twice. But one thing you can be sure of about me; is I will always do exactly what I want to do.” ― C. JoyBell C.
53. “The person you became with her is worth being.” ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
54. “I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.” ― Aldous Huxley, Point Counter Point
55. “Forget yesterday – it has already forgotten you. Don’t sweat tomorrow – you haven’t even met. Instead, open your eyes and your heart to a truly precious gift – today.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
56. “When you embrace change you will begin to see it as an opportunity for growth.” – Jack Canfield
57. “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.” [These words are also inscribed upon his grave] ― Karl Marx, Eleven Theses on Feuerbach
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Karl Marx quotes that inspire critical thinking and questioning of society.
58. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” ― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
59. “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” ― Kiera Cass, The Elite
60. “You can walk away and say “We don’t need this.” but something in your eyes says “We can beat this.” ― Taylor Swift
61. “It’s only after you’ve stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to change, grow, and transform.” ― Roy T. Bennett
62. “When people are ready to, they change. They never do it before then, and sometimes they die before they get around to it.” ― Andy Warhol, Andy Warhol in His Own Words
63. “Maturity is when you stop complaining and making excuses, and start making changes.”― Roy T. Bennett
64. “Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence.” ― Ovid
65. “Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.” ― Jim Rohn
66. “Don’t confuse poor decision-making with destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s ok; we all make them. Learn from them so they can empower you!” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
67. “All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.” ― Sophocles, Antigone
68. “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door” ― Milton Berle
69. “She wanted none of those days to end, and it was always with disappointment that she watched the darkness stride forward.”― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of The Book Thief quotes for living with purpose.
Quotes about change and growth
70. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. – Napoleon Hill
71. Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning. – Benjamin Franklin
72. “Anyone can stay the same. It takes courage to change.” – John Assaraf
73. “Change is inevitable in life. You can either resist it and potentially get run over by it, or you can choose to cooperate with it, adapt to it, and learn how to benefit from it.” – Jack Canfield
74. “There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.” – Ronald Reagan
75. “Change is growth. For me it has been a very spiritual and musical rebirth.” – Lenny Kravitz
76. “All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” – Calvin Coolidge
77. “Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.” – John F. Kennedy
78. “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale
79. “There is nothing permanent except change.” – Heraclitus
80. “People who can change and change again are so much more reliable and happier than those who can’t.”― Stephen Fry
Quotes about change to motivate you
81. “Change your life today. Don’t gamble on the future, act now, without delay.” – Simone de Beauvoir
82. “Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.” – Malala Yousafzai
83. “Life is about change. Sometimes it’s painful. Sometimes it’s beautiful. But most of the time, it’s both.” — Lana Lang
84. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy.” – C. JoyBell C.
85. “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” — Leo Tolstoy
86. “We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are.” — Max Depree
87. “If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” – Roy T. Bennett
88. “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.” – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
89. “Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone.” – Billy Cox
90. “The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order.” – Alfred North Whitehead
Other inspirational quotes about change
91. “Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change.” – Thomas Hardy
92. “To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.” – Henri Bergson
93. “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephen Hawking
94. “The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress.” – Charles Kettering
95. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” – John F. Kennedy
96. “Your success in life isn’t based on your ability to simply change. It is based on your ability to change faster than your competition, customers, and business.” – Mark Sanborn
97. “Change is inevitable–except from a vending machine.” – Robert C. Gallagher
98. “The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.” —Kakuzō Okakura, The Book of Tea
99. “I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is they must change if they are to get better.” —Georg C. Lichtenberg
100. “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” —Buckminster
101. “Change means that what was before wasn’t perfect. People want things to be better.” –Esther Dyson
102. “Change before you have to.” – Jack Welch
103. “When we allow ourselves to adapt to different situations, life is easier.” – Catherine Pulsifer
104. “You cannot change anyone, but you can be the reason someone changes.” – Roy T. Bennett
105. “Change almost never fails because it’s too early. It almost always fails because it’s too late.” – Seth Godin
Thought-provoking quotes about change and growth
106. “True life is lived when tiny changes occur.” – Leo Tolstoy
107. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin
108. “Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.” – Wayne Dyer
109. “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” – Viktor Frankl
110. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and start being excited about what could go right.” – Tony Robbins
111. “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” – George Bernard Shaw
112. “Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.” – N.R. Narayana Murthy
113. “Just because everything is different doesn’t mean anything has changed.” – Irene Peter
114. “Change brings opportunity.” – Nido Qubein
115. “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” – John C. Maxwell
116. “Moving doesn’t change who you are. It only changes the view outside your window.” – Rachel Hollis
Change quotes to help you navigate something new
117. “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.” — Winston Churchill
118. “I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is that they must change if they are to get better.”― Georg Lichtenberg
119. “Words are where most change begins.”― Brandon Sanderson
120. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” — Maya Angelou
121. “The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.” — Nathaniel Branden
122. “Some people don’t like change, but you need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster.” — Elon Musk
123. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” — Alan Watts
124. “Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.” — Arnold Bennett
125. “Change is hardest at the beginning, messiest in the middle and best at the end.”― Robin Sharma
126. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” — Barack Obama
Quotes About Changing Yourself for the Better
127. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
128. “A tiny change today brings a dramatically different tomorrow.”― Richard Bach
129. “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” – Carol Burnett
130. “All great changes are preceded by chaos.” – Deepak Chopra
131. “The power to change your life lies in the simplest of steps.”― Steve Maraboli
132. “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.” – Confucius
133. “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” – Ernest Hemingway
134. “People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
135. “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” – Charles Darwin
136. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – Paulo Coelho
Quotes About Change To Show Our Actions Matter
137. “Do not waste time on things you cannot change or influence.” — Robert Greene
138. “The most beautiful and profound way to change yourself is to accept yourself completely, as imperfect as you are.” — Maxime Lagacé
139. “Things do not change; we change.” — Henry David Thoreau
140. “Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.” — Dalai Lama
141. “A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” — Winston Churchill
142. “All things change; nothing perishes.” — Ovid
143. “The universe is transformation; our life is what our thoughts make it.” — Marcus Aurelius
144. “What you must do now is to adapt. The world belongs to those who can change fast.” — Maxime Lagacé
145. “We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.” — Lynn Hall
146. “To make a change, you need to be aware and acknowledge that something isn’t working first.” — Justin Kan
What do you think about these quotes about change?
Did any of them strike you?
Which quotes can you relate to?
Hopefully, these wise words and sayings inspired or motivated you.
Whether you’re feeling stuck in life or you have a big decision to make, remember that you can always change your mind.
It’s okay to start again.
After all, there are no rules to this thing called life.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST