Prince William ‘will not attend Qatar World Cup’ amid human rights row

Prince William has held the role of president of the Football Association since 2006 (Image: Getty)

The Prince of Wales is said to have “no plans” to travel to the Middle East and watch England play at the World Cup.

Sources close to the royal have reportedly blamed his diary for being booked for next month.

The future king, the current president of the Football Association (FA), often finds time to show his support for the England team.

He presented the Lionesses with the Euro 22 trophy and wrapped the players in huge hugs earlier this year.

Many theorized that William may have chosen not to attend the World Cup in Qatar in defiance of the country’s homophobia and exploitation of foreign workers.

If the prince goes at all, it will only be as part of a government delegation, according to sources quoted by The Sun.

England’s first match of the World Cup will be on November 21 against Iran.

This year’s tournament has sparked endless controversy as it is hosted in a country facing numerous allegations of human rights abuses.

This year’s World Cup will begin in Qatar next month (Image: Getty)
Qatar has been accused of numerous human rights abuses (Image: Getty)

Labor is also preparing to boycott the contest.

Shadow culture secretary Lucy Powell previously said: “We cannot take our eyes off the problems in Qatar.”

Same-sex relationships are illegal in the Gulf state.

Organizers stressed that all supporters would be welcome, but simple public displays of affection between heterosexual couples were not part of the local culture.

The offense of same-sex relations is reportedly punishable by death under Sharia, from which the country’s law derives, but there are no recorded examples of this.

Around 6,500 workers died while preparing for the World Cup (Image: Getty)

To view this video, please enable JavaScript and consider upgrading to web
browser which
supports HTML5
video

Gay football fans have been told they should feel safe to show affection for each other once the competition gets underway, the tournament’s main organizer has insisted.

Just over a year ago, a Guardian investigation revealed that more than 6,500 workers had died while working on preparations for the World Cup.

Among the dead were thousands of low-wage workers from Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Qatar is believed to have amassed a labor force of over two million migrants since its successful bid for the competition, undertaking an infrastructure project on an unprecedented scale.

Amnesty International said FIFA should match the value of the prize money it will give to World Cup teams as compensation for workers and their families. This figure amounts to £355 million.

Contact our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *