Measles case diagnosed in Sydney

A case of measles has been diagnosed in New South Wales, the first in over two and a half years.

NSW Health says a person in their 50s contracted the highly contagious disease while traveling in Asia last month.

The person developed symptoms after returning to Sydney and is now in isolation at the hospital.

They spent time in the following places while they were contagious: St Andrew Malabar Catholic Church for the 10:30 am Mass on September 4, the University of NSW on September 6, and Pacific Square in Maroubra on September 7.

Jeremy McAnulty of NSW Health said these places weren’t at ongoing risk, but urged people who were there in those days to pay attention to symptoms until Sept. 24.

Measles is transmitted by droplets emitted when an infected person coughs and sneezes.

Symptoms include fever, sore eyes, and cough followed three to four days later by a red, mottled rash that spreads from the head and neck to the rest of the body.

“If you develop symptoms, call your GP in advance to make sure you don’t wait in the waiting room with other patients,” said Dr. McAnulty.

People considered susceptible to measles are those who have not received two doses of the measles vaccine throughout their lives and those who have a confirmed history of measles infection or a weakened immune system.

Herd immunity provides protection for people who cannot be vaccinated, such as children and people with weakened immune systems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *