Mason Greenwood spends the night in the cells before appearing in court

Mason Greenwood is due to appear in court tomorrow (Image: PA)

Footballer Mason Greenwood spent a night in the cells before appearing at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on rape charges.

The 21-year-old is currently suspended from Manchester United after being charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behavior and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized him to be charged after he was arrested on suspicion of breaching his bail conditions last week.

Janet Potter, deputy chief prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service today authorized Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behavior and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

“All three charges relate to the same applicant.

Security guards outside Mason Greenwood’s house in February after he was initially released on bail over the charges (Image: Getty)
Greenwood has not played for Manchester United since January (Image: Getty)

“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex case unit cleared the charges after reviewing a dossier of evidence received by Greater Manchester Police.”

Greenwood is due in court on Monday.

The CPS added: “The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the accused are active and that he is entitled to a fair trial.”

“It is extremely important that there is no reporting, commenting or sharing of information online that could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

A Manchester United statement said: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been laid against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service. He remains suspended from the club pending the outcome of the legal process.

He faces charges that he raped, sexually assaulted and threatened to kill a then 18-year-old girl.

The player was first arrested in January on charges related to a young woman.

The football star’s bail was extended at a private hearing at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court in June.

He was later questioned on suspicion of making death threats while spending three nights in cells at a Greater Manchester police station.

Greenwood was released on conditional bail on February 2, which has since been extended twice. However, police have not specified when it will expire after the closed court hearing in June.

The striker’s last appearance for Manchester United was on January 22.

The club was previously forced to release a statement saying it “does not condone violence of any kind”.

Hours after the allegations appeared online, the striker – who has one England cap – was suspended from playing or training with the Old Trafford club until further notice.

But the club have confirmed he is still receiving his £75,000-a-week wages.

Nike suspended its sponsorship deal with Greenwood and later terminated it, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads in its FIFA 22 game.

A GMP spokesman said: “Greater Manchester Police are aware of an allegation regarding a 21-year-old man breaching his bail conditions and an arrest was made on Saturday 15 October 2022.

“Investigations are ongoing.”

Contact our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *