Kevin Spacey to appear in US court to face sexual assault charges
Kevin Spacey will face a US court for sexual harassment brought against him by actor Anthony Rapp.
The 63-year-old actor “categorically denied” the allegations and said he “has no interest or sexual desire for Mr. Rapp at that time or after,” which would have happened in 1986.
Jury selection will begin Thursday at the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, with the proceedings presided over by Judge Lewis A. Kaplan.
Mr. Spacey is in exile from Hollywood after Mr. Rapp accused him of inappropriate behavior in October 2017.
Mr. Rapp claimed he was the victim of “unwanted sexual proposals” at a party in 1986 when he was 14.
Documents seen by the PA news agency claim that Mr. Spacey surprised Mr. Rapp at the party by picking him up and lying on the bed.
Documents show that Mr. Spacey pushed his body weight against Mr. Rapp before the actor “walked out” without resistance during the brief encounter.
Mr. Spacey claimed that none of his conversations with Mr. Rapp were “for the purpose of humiliating or abusing him.”
The Hollywood star previously said: “I categorically deny plaintiff Anthony Rapp’s claim that I sexually harassed her or otherwise ‘sexualized’ her.”
The trial comes less than three months after a UK court “rigorously” rejected claims that she had sexually assaulted Mr Spacey 17 years earlier.
He denied five charges relating to three men, now aged 30 to 40, at London’s Old Bailey on July 14.
The alleged crimes allegedly took place in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013, when Mr. Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic Theater.
Judge Wall has scheduled a three- to four-week trial from June 6 next year, with further hearings scheduled for 2023.