E-scooter and luxury car among wreckage of Sydney house fire
Firefighters believe a faulty electric scooter started a fire in a garage that nearly destroyed a home on Sydney’s northern beaches.
Twenty firefighters were called to tackle a fire at a multi-story home on Spring Cove Ave in Manly at around 5:30 pm on Saturday.
One of the occupants managed to get out before the fire took hold of the house and escaped unharmed.
Investigations have now revealed that the fire may have been caused by an electric scooter stored in the garage.
“It is not uncommon for firefighters to respond to fires caused by equipment powered by lithium-ion batteries such as e-bikes and electric scooters,” a spokesperson for Fire and Rescue NSW said. .
Firefighters were able to put out the flames before they engulfed the upper levels of the house with only slight charring on the second level balcony.
Fans and gas detectors are used to remove toxic smoke from the home and ensure that residents can return home safely.
FRNSW is currently conducting research on how best to mitigate incidents involving these devices with lithium-ion batteries and how best to respond to incidents when they occur.
Firefighters are urging people to do their research before buying, using, and storing these items.
They also continue to stress the importance of making sure you have working smoke detectors in your home.
Tips for the safe storage of electric scooters
- Do not charge or store electric vehicle batteries on combustible or insulating surfaces such as beds, sofas or carpets.
- Keep them away from highly flammable materials such as blankets, clothing and paper.
- Whenever possible, electric vehicles should be stored and charged outdoors in a garage, shed or carport away from living areas.
- Refer device repairs and battery replacement or upgrade only to a qualified professional.
- A smoke detector or heat detector should be installed in garages where an electric vehicle is stored and / or charged.
- Never store or leave electric vehicle batteries in areas where they could be exposed to heat or moisture.
- Do not leave devices in direct sunlight or in parked vehicles where they can heat up quickly.