Best Birthday Quotes To Celebrate Your Life
Looking for inspirational birthday quotes?
It is always fun to celebrate birthdays and think about the many things that have been said about or that relate to them.
Share your favorite birthday quote with us in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these birthday quotes?
Aside from getting wiser, one can delight in good food and good company.
Here are some awesome birthday quotes to liven up your big day and perhaps even share with family and friends.
These birthday quotes will inspire you to:
- create the perfect birthday post on social media
- include a thoughtful and heartfelt message in a birthday card or flower arrangement
- treat each birthday like the gift it is and be grateful for the year you have had
- reflect on the challenges of the year and know that you can make changes
Remember to check out our collection of funny birthday quotes and these birthday messages for a friend.
Famous Birthday Quotes Celebrating Life
1. “Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C.S. Lewis
Getting older (and hopefully wiser), we face old age, our senior years. Perhaps Emily Dickinson has the right idea:
2. “We turn not older with years, but newer every day” – Emily Dickinson
Sam Hagar reinforced this idea saying:
3. “Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new.” – Sam Hagar
4. “Count your age by friends, not years, your life by smiles, not tears.” – John Lennon
5. “May your years be counted not by your age but by how you spend your days.” – Catherine Pulsifer
6. “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.” – Jean Paul Richter
Band leader Les Brown emphasized:
7. “You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – Les Brown
8. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
While I was still in school, I had to read writings by ancient philosophers. I never thought they were relevant to me. As another birthday approaches, I’ve looked at some of those words of wisdom, re-evaluating their relevance.
Perhaps they are things that I’ve learned to live by, to accept – and yes – use as birthday quotes:
9. “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” – Voltaire
10. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” – William Shakespeare
Inspirational Birthday Quotes and Sayings
Mark Twain agreed,
11. “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
Certainly some good things to remember as we celebrate birthdays! Samuel Ullman said:
12. “Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Samuel Ullman
At birthday gatherings, you also might also want to quote:
13. “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” – Plautus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wine quotes to celebrate over your favorite glass.
14. “Man’s main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is,” – E. Fromm
15. “Age is opportunity no less than youth itself.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of age quotes for the young and the young at heart.
16. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony,” – Mahatma Gandhi
Or you might hear:
17. “I’m like a fine wine. They don’t bring me out very much, but I am well preserved.” – Rose Kennedy
18. “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art,” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Of course, in discussing getting older, other pearls of wisdom are shared:
19. “The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune,” – English Proverb
20. “None are as old as those who have outlived enthusiasm,” – Henry David Thoreau
Also, read these young at heart quotes for the young and young at heart.
Birthday Quotes and sayings to uplift you
21. “It’s not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, They grow old because they stop pursuing dreams,” – Gabriel G. Marquez
Another great birthday quote, this one by a comedian, is:
22. “Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Jack Benny
23. “You can’t help getting older, but you don’t have to get old.” – George Burns
With laughter, Bob Hope said,
24. “You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.” – Bob Hope
Who would want to fix things?
25. “If we could be twice young and twice old, we could correct all our mistakes,” – Euripides
For those with a strong belief in God:
26. “Our life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life,” – Billy Mills
Hearts are always mentioned with birthdays:
27. “Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty –
They merely move it from their faces into their hearts,” – Martin Buxbaum
28. “The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious,” – Martin Luther
Some U.S. Presidents have made some birthday quotes:
29. “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm,” – Lincoln
30. “Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Lincoln
Happy Birthday Quotes that will make your day
31. “Let us seek the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past.
Let us accept our own responsibility for the future,” – Kennedy
Words of wisdom for aging from Confucius:
32. “Study the past if you would define the future!”
33. “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go, so long as you don’t stop.”
34. “Choose a job you love. You will never have to work a day in your life.”
35. “The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.”
As we grow older, may we remember these wise quotes:
35. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change.” – Darwin
36. “It’s the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” – Aristotle
37. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Einstein
38. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal,” – Henry Ford
39. “Don’t celebrate how old you are. Celebrate the years you survived.” – Touaxia Vang
40. “Don’t anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen.” – Ben Franklin
Happy Birthday Quotes and Wishes to make you strong
Since first reading Dr. Seuss, my favorite birthday quote has been:
41. “Today you are You; that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Dr. Seuss
Can we live with that idea? Here’s what I always say:
42. “Wow, thank you Lord for another great chance to make a difference.”
43. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” – Tolkien
So, as we all age – day by day, and as I pray I get to reach 70 in a couple of years, I often repeat this quote:
44. “I don’t mind getting older; it’s a privilege denied to so many!” ― Chris Geiger, ‘The Cancer Survivors Club’
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of getting older quotes that will make you embrace the beauty in aging.
45. “A birthday is the anniversary of your birth. It’s the time most of us reflect over the past year and what we hope for in the coming year.” – Claudia T Hudson
46. “Today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be. Make the most of it!” – Nicky Gumbel
47. “There are two attitudes you can have when it comes to your birthday:
1. be thankful you have lived another year.
or, 2. complain about being a year older.” – Catherine Pulsifer
48. “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” – Cherokee Expression
49. “Your age isn’t you. Use today to feel your best, celebrate and be your very happiest.” – M. Rivers
50. “A birth-date is a reminder to celebrate the life as well as to update the life.” – Amit Kalantri
More birthday quotes for friends, family, and loved ones
51. “A birthday is not a day to fear. It is a day to celebrate and look forward to the coming year.” – Byron Pulsifer
52. “Birthdays are inevitable, beautiful and very particular moments in our lives! Moments that bring precious memories back, celebrate the present times and give hope for the future.” – Bsbr Arish
53. “Your birthday is my pleasure. You are my sweetest treasure.” – Danny Demeersseman
54. “We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be.” – Lauren Hutton
55. “Your birthday is the beginning of your own personal new year. Your first birthday was a beginning, and each new birthday is a chance to begin again, to start over, to take a new grip on life.” – Wilfred Peterson
56. “I enjoy celebrating birthdays. Everyone should have their birthday celebrated.” – Loraine D. Nunley
Yes, I am grateful that I’m still alive. But life isn’t forever, so remember:
57. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Henry Ford agreed:
58. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young”. – Henry Ford
59. “Birthdays come but once a year, celebrate and be of good cheer.” – Robert Rivers
60. “Each year as our birthday comes, our thoughts and beliefs may change a bit from year to year. But believe our wish for you is always the same, may you find happiness and blessings all of your days!” – Catherine Pulsifer
Inspirational birthday quotes for him
61. “Birthdays could be such a bummer when you were older than the country you lived in.” – Lynsay Sands
62. “Every day is a gift. But some days are packaged better.” – Sanhita Baruah
63. “Birthdays are happy as a child, defeatist with age and joyful again at surviving another year.” – Stewart Stafford
64. “Birthdays were made for going wild over the people we think are amazing.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
65. “The only way that getting older can be a bad thing is if you are not fully living in the moment now.” – Andrena Sawyer
66. “Rather than see aging as a reason to contract, we should view it as an opportunity to expand. We should make each year of our lives are more interesting than the one before.” – Srinivas Rao
67. “Every birthday celebrates a life because every life is important.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
68. “Birthday should be considered as a unit of measurement to measure our present status toward success!” – Mohith Agadi
69. “Birthdays; They never cease to exist, and like birthdays you will never cease to exist in my heart.” – Xela Ffronrims
70. “Birthdays are special days. It reminds us of that day when the heavens gave miracles our way. You are a MIRACLE. Bless yourself. Bless others. Be a blessing.” – Mystqx Skye
Wise birthday quotes about growing older
71. “You don’t get older, you get better.” — Shirley Bassey
72. “To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am.” — Bernard Baruch
73. “Every age can be enchanting, provided you live within it.” — Brigitte Bardot
74. “The way I see it, you should live everyday like it’s your birthday.” — Paris Hilton
75. “Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake.” — Edward Morykwas
76. “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” — Lucille Ball
77. “Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.” — Fred Astaire
78. “We are always the same age inside” – Gertrude Stein
79. “A birthday is like a new year and my wish for you is a great year full of happiness and sunshine!” — Catherine Pulsifer
80. “Birthdays are a great time to stop and appreciate gravity. Sure, it makes things sag as you get older, but it also keeps your cake from flying all over the room, so you don’t have to chase it.” — Greg Tamblyn
Birthday quotes to help make your day spectacular
81. “You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” – John Mason
82. “Please don’t retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.” — Anna Magnani
83. “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time.” – Jean Paul Richter
84. “Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.” – Larry Lorenzoni
85. “The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.” — Oscar Wilde
86. “Live long and prosper.” — Mr. Spock
87. “Put candles in a cake, it’s a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, and somebody’s drunk in the kitchen.” — Jim Gaffigan
88. “As you get older, three things happen: The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.” — Norman Wisdom
89. “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
90. Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. — Ausonius
More birthday quotes and wishes
91. “Cherish all your happy moments; they make a fine cushion for old age.” – Booth Tarkington
92. “It’s sad to grow old, but nice to ripen.” – Brigitte Bardot
93. “When you wake up every day, it’s like a new birthday: it’s a new chance to be great again and make great decisions.” – Poo Bear
94. “I decided if you’re lucky enough to be alive, you should use each birthday to celebrate what your life is about.” – Mary Steenburgen
95. “Wisdom doesn’t necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself.” – Tom Wilson
96. “We all want to shout hip-hip-hooray
As we wish you a Happy Birthday!”
97. “Be stronger and more confident when facing problems on a daily basis. I wish you nothing but the best in life.”
98. “I wish you happiness and peace in life
and many more birthdays to bring you delight.”
99. “Happy Birthday to you, my friend. You deserve a great day.”
100. “Congratulations on your birthday! Wishing you a truly fabulous day.”
Birthday quotes about giving gifts, getting presents, and cake
101. “At my age flowers scare me.” — George Burns
102. “Love the giver more than the gift.” — Brigham Young
103. “My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it.” — Boris Johnson
104. “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.” — George Harrison
105. “The greatest gift that you can give to others is the gift of unconditional love and acceptance.” — Brian Tracy
106. “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
107. “You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out.’” — Jerry Seinfeld
108. “There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents, and only one for birthday presents, you know.” — Lewis Carroll
109. “You are amazing and wonderful and that is what I hope your birthday will be like – amazing and wonderful.” – Theodore W. Higginsworth
110. “Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It’s all about the memories.” — Buddy Valastro
Birthday quotes about the meaning of life
111. “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” – Oprah Winfrey
112. “May the moments of today become fond memories for tomorrow. Happy Birthday.” – Rob Jackson
113. “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
114. “There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why.” – William Barclay
115. “Don’t just count your years, make your years count.” – George Meredith
116. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
117. “The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” – Madeleine L’Engle
118. “It is lovely, when I forgot all birthdays, including my own, to find that somebody remembers me.” – Ellen Glasgow
119. “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.” – Chili Davis
120. “A birthday is just another day where you go to work and people give you love. Age is just a state of mind, and you are as old as you think you are. You have to count your blessings and be happy.” – Abhishek Bachchan
Did you find your favorite birthday quotes here?
Birthdays are special days—not only to celebrate among people we love but also to remind us of how far we’ve come in life.
Keep these beautiful quotes handy as a gift to yourself on this occasion.
Which birthday quotes are you going to use to help celebrate your big day?
Let us know in the comment section below.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST