5 students shot, 1 killed during football fight at Roxboro High School


A teenager was killed and four other teenagers were wounded in a shooting behind Roxborough High School in Philadelphia’s Roxborough neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Philadelphia police said the victims were football players from Roxborough High School who had just finished a practice game against two other teams and were walking off the field.

At 4:41 p.m., two gunmen ambushed the group on Fairway Terrace near Pechin Street, behind Roxborough High School, and fired at least 70 times, police said.

A 14-year-old boy was struck at least once in the chest and taken to Einstein Medical Center, where he died a little lateraccording to the police.

The victim was on Roxboro’s football team, but Christina Clark, a spokeswoman for the School District of Philadelphia, said he went to nearby Saul High School, which is a magnet school that focuses on agricultural sciences.

Police said a 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg and was listed in stable condition at a local hospital.

A third student, 17 years old, was hit four times all over his body and was taken to a hospital in stable condition.

5 students shot, 1 killed in Roxborough
5 students shot, 1 killed in Roxborough

Philadelphia police said another victim was taken to a hospital in unknown condition and another victim had a laceration.

SkyForce10 was airborne when one of the victims was loaded into the back of a police car and fled the school parking lot. A little blood was visible nearby.

The game between Roxborough High School Northeast High School and Pennsylvania Boys’ Latin Charter School ended around 4:30 p.m., said Philadelphia Police First Deputy Commissioner John Stanford.

A light green Ford Explorer was seen driving west on Fairway Terrace about ten minutes later, police said.

“Although no member of the Boys’ Latin school community was physically harmed, the emotional effects of this tragedy will be long-lasting,” Boys’ Latin said in a statement. “We mourn the loss of life and the loss of the ability to feel safe and secure in our city. Too many boys’ Latin students have been robbed of this basic right. So do their teammates, friends, families, teachers and neighbors. The school is calling on the city to take action.”

As of Tuesday evening, no one had been picked up.

“I am personally disturbed and angered by this senseless act of violence and it is unacceptable,” said Philadelphia School District Superintendent Dr. Tony B. Watlington Sr. “On behalf of all of us in the school district, our hearts and prayers go out to the families today.”

The school district’s emergency/crisis response team and a school team of social workers and counselors will be at all affected schools “to help students and staff deal with and grieve this tragedy,” Watlington said.

“No word on what happened earlier tonight,” Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney tweeted Tuesday. “Tonight, a family will begin to struggle with the loss of their loved one. My deepest condolences to them.”

Police said the meeting place for parents and students is at 6401 Ridge Avenue.

Only follow us on Lee Daily for more news like this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *